This week our theme is trees (following the brilliant “Exploring Nature With Children Curriculum” by Raising Little Shoots.)
Spring is a great time to look at trees as they start to come to life again after winter. When you are walking in the park why not choose a tree whose leaves are coming through to have a look at?
When you have found a tree you like the look of take a couple of minutes to have a closer look at its leaves.
- Are the leaf edges smooth or do they have teeth?
- Are the edges wavy or prickly?
- Does the leaf have one vein that extends from the stalk to the tip or does it have more than one vein that extends to the edges of the leaf?
- What colour is the leaf’s stalk?
- How long is the leaf?
If you can find any buds on the tree what do they look like?
Learn more about trees
- Learn how to identify trees by looking at their twigs, leaves, blossom, or fruit.
- Find out about the life cycle of an oak tree.
- Explore different types of trees and learn more about how they grow.
Other tree inspired activities
Image credit: Andy Carson